Not logged in [Login ]
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yummy! Candy Store
Ally
Super Administrator

Mood: post in da back...

[*] posted on 27-5-2011 at 11:27 AM
Yummy! Candy Store

Indulge your sweet tooth in this extravaganza of luscious lollies, chocolates & nuts!

Maleah

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-7-2011 at 07:09 PM

Leah smiled at the passing children as she made her way up the walkway. She had made it to the shops in Surfside and her craving only got stronger as she stepped into Yummy. They had a special salt water taffy that had been calling her name for a few days now and her dad had let her leave the diner a little early. She had gone in to the diner that morning and things had been pretty slow even through lunch. Especially for a Saturday. He’d suggested her going home and spending the time with Lu, but that wasn’t really what she wanted...Things had gotten...stranger between them since he found out about the baby. He was quieter and if Maleah didn’t know him any better, she would think he was trying to avoid her. But she did know him better and that was what he was doing. His nights with the Pueo had gotten to be mid-mornings as well and when he was home he barely touched her.

It put her in a mood and now more then ever she just wanted that taffy. Grabbing one of the plastic candy bags on her way into the store, she made her way to the taffy case toward the back of the small shop. Good thing about knowing exactly what you wanted was that you could make it to the counter before a line started. Usually anyway. But on a Saturday a Surfside Valley she knew waiting in line was a must and as she filled her bag with a couple scoops of taffy and looked in the direction of the register she knew she was right...If she was going to have to wait anyway she might as well take a look around right?

Maybe the baby would crave something different if she looked long enough...

You must do what you are ordered; for yourself and for your ohana.

Maleah

[*] posted on 23-7-2011 at 05:38 PM

She had a little time to kill anyway. Analu was more than likely asleep at home and there was really no point in waking him and having to endure his awkward silence. He had been more distant since Leah had begun to show, her bump having grown a bit over the few weeks since he’d found out. It was freaking him out a little, she could tell. But she could also understand why. He still hadn’t told anyone and they were still trying to hide the life they’d made...Which was going to become more and more obvious as time went on. Her father had already started to ask questions what with her wardrobe changes. She had starting wearing Lu’s shirts. Sure she cut a few of them so they looked like something she would wear normally, but of course her dad noticed. He knew her. And her mother had asked more than once about her...developments up top. It was already hard to keep a secret and it was only going to get harder.

But the hardest thing about her life right now was burning time until the line to get out of here died down. And by the Gods, did she want to dig into the taffy she had already bagged up. But she couldn’t. She wouldn’t. She would simply busy herself with all of the other treats she could have if she wanted. Leaning over a bit she began to inspect the lower rows. How long had it been since she’d come here for anything other than sweet water taffy? Hmmmm...She didn’t even know. But they did have some pretty appetizing choices. Yummy had always specialized in exotic, homemade candies so the unusual flavor combos were to be expected. Blueberry-cheesecake, Pina Colada- pineapple, and even some that was supposed to taste like a chocolate chip cookie. Oohhh! So many choices...She could have a few of each right? She was pregnant...and if anyone referenced her fat kid syndrome, that would be her excuse.

She was filling her third bag with taffy when she heard a familiar voice behind her. Take all the taffy? Romance flick? And where oh where had she heard that voice before? One way to find an answer she supposed. Turning her head to look at him she found a familiar face to accompany that voice. A friendly face. “Owen, hi-,” she smiled, straightening her stance as she turned to face him completely. “Still cheering girls up with jokes, huh?” She giggled a little as he kept them coming, asking if she brought a truck for such a huge candy haul. He was adorably corny and she couldn’t help but smile, her thoughts of baby troubles pushed to the back of her mind as soon as he started talking to her. He offered her a hand with her bags, somehow managing to make his cute jokes while being a total sweetheart.

“I think I’ve got it pretty much under control, but these cravings are staring to get a little out of hand-,” she giggled a bit. “Who knows how much I’ll have by the time I leave?” She smiled at him, her feet shifting as she twisted one of her bags closed.

“So what brings you here? Or are you just here to help girls feed their inner fat kid?”

Maleah

[*] posted on 24-7-2011 at 05:22 PM

Okay so maybe she wasn’t just feeding her inner fat kid. Maybe she was trying to quell the craving she’d been having for a few days now for salt water taffy. What could she say? She’d wanted a lot of weird things since this whole pregnancy thing started to show symptoms and with Lu either out with the Pueo or catching up on sleep, she didn’t like to bother him much with them. She kept a lot of things to herself these days, never bothering to mention anything that might cause a rift between she and Analu. Her temper only flared when his did and lately he tried his best to keep things under control. It was odd that things had started to get better...at a time when things were about to get so much worse.

She couldn’t lie to herself, the longer he waited to tell the Elders what was happening, the worse she was sure their reaction was going to be. If she thought telling Analu about the baby was hard, she couldn’t even imagine what it was like for him not, having to tell the elders...She didn’t want to imagine what it was like. But things so far had gone the way Owen had said they would. She’d told him, and sure it had been hard, but he was dealing with it. They were dealing with it. And everything was going to be okay...Actually, seeing Owen made that sentiment even more real to her. She didn’t know what it was about him, but he was easily able to take her mind off her troubles. He had done it the day they’d met in the hospital and he was doing it now, pairing his heart-warming smile with a couple of cute jokes.

“Guess you have to stick to what you’re good at-,” she said with a small giggle as he conceded that making girls laugh was one of his many hobbies, before telling her that her cravings were natural. “Yeah, and it’s a little bit of an excuse to lean on when trying to explain to the folks about the sudden “weight gain”.” The giggle that accompanied that little tidbit was a nervous one. She was told not to tell anyone and she stuck to that...but Owen already knew. Part of her felt a little weird talking about her pregnancy to someone, but the other half of her was relieved to get some things out. Even if it was something as small as expressing her frustration over lying to her parents. The weirded out part of her changed the subject, curious as to what Owen was doing here with...his daughter? Of course! She knew he had a little girl. She probably could have guessed he would be here with...Oh!

Just as he turned to point her out to Maleah, she materialized, tugging at her daddy’s shirt as she showed him what she’d picked out. She was the cutest thing! Maleah couldn’t help but smile, watching Charlie’s bright eyes as her father stooped down to speak to her...only not the way Leah had expected. Oh...She watched his hands move as Owen introduced her and waved as Charlie’s eyes landed on her for just a second, before refocusing on her dad. Charlie signed something of her own, but words didn’t accompany what she was saying so Maleah found herself a little lost in translation. But not for long, as Owen sent her off again for more treats to snack during what sounded like a great movie night. Leah giggled a little, watching Charlie bound off in search of more candy as Owen stood back at full height.

“No, no need to apologize. She’s absolutely adorable.” He spoke again, offering to take her bags to the register with her, or...Hm. She actually wouldn’t mind that. She enjoyed Owen’s company and that was the main reason she didn’t think staying was a very good idea. Not that anything would happen! Of course not, but she could already hear Analu’s reaction to hearing about hrt day out with some guy...Then again this could be one of those things that she just didn’t bother him with.

“Actually, yeah. I think you might appreciate my candy expertise-,” she replied with a small wink. “Besides, how could I ever deny my favorite male nurse?” She smiled at him as the two of them started off in the direction that Charlie had disappeared in. “So, um...If you don’t mind me asking...” She paused unsure of how to continue with the question . She was curious as to what had happened to Charile, but she didn’t know if that was too personal of a question. Despite being completely comfortable with Owen, she still had to remember they had technically just met. She wasn’t really allotted personal questions just yet...but she couldn’t just let the question hang in the air.

“What’s it like? Raising a kid, I mean...”

Maleah

[*] posted on 27-7-2011 at 10:32 AM

She honestly wasn’t trying to pry! Sure, she could have settled on something more generic; where are you from, what’s your favorite color, how you liking the weather? She could have asked a lot of different things that didn’t have to do with his daughter and what it was like raising a child...but with the way they’d met, it seemed...stupid. No, she hadn’t known him long, but they just seemed so beyond small talk. He had been there when she found out there was a person growing inside her, she felt like a personal question or two wasn’t completely out of the question. Besides, Owen was pretty much the only person she could talk to about things related to the baby. With Analu wanting to keep things under wraps, Owen was the only person outside of Lu that knew about the pregnancy and Analu was just as clueless as she was about raising a kid. Owen had experience, who better to ask?

But maybe she could have waited a bit. She was totally jumping the gun. Who knew? Maybe she’d be a natural and just fall right into being a mother...being a wife. By the Gods, she had never been nervous about these things before! Before she found out about the baby, whenever she thought about her future she was sure about it. She would be the perfect wife, the perfect mother, and finally give Analu the family he never had. Now that it was actually happening, she felt like she would drown in it. What if she did something wrong and royally fucked everything? She didn’t know what she was doing...and it was scary...Owen had a way of making things better.

He was honest with her, telling her that it wasn’t going to be a walk in the park, but he wouldn’t change a thing about his life with Charlie now. Not even...losing Diane? Her eyes left Charlie’s smiling face, snapping back to Owen as he said that. So he was raising Charlie...on his own? I mean he wasn’t wearing a ring, and sure, he had been kind of flirty, but Maleah figured that was just his way. A lot of guys were like that...She wouldn’t have guessed...Wait. How the hell was he doing it?! His hours at the hospital had to be ridiculous and he was interning so he obviously wasn’t done with school just yet. When did the man sleep? How did he...wow...this guy was like...Captain Dad...and somehow he still found time to give advice to scared pregnant girls that just happened to wander into his life.

She smiled back at him as he finished expressing his love for his little girl. And honestly, at the end of it all, that was the only thing that mattered. He loved Charlie and he did the best he could...and Leah would do the best she could. And that was basically what he told her, his hand coming to rest on her shoulder as he reassured her that she was...ready. She didn’t know how true that was, but with the way he said it, she was under the impression that Owen knew something that she didn’t...saw something that she didn’t. She gave him a small smile as his hand drifted up her neck, pushing her hair away from her face as he again offered his help...And the hospital’s of course!

“How do you do that-,” she asked with a little bit of a giggle, “It’s like you’re programed to say exactly the right thing.”In the two times that they’d spoken, Owen had been able to take her mind off of all things stressful and somehow give her...peace. It’s like her future didn’t exist when she was with Owen...He was a good friend to have. The kind of person she needed right about now...But anyways...

“I don’t know about the queen-,” she said nudging him a bit, “I’ve only been coming here since I was 3, catching sugar highs from every kind of taffy they sell...I think I’m more of a...Nope. Queen is a good fit.” Maleah laughed as she raised the bag of taffy she still held. “I guess I can’t argue with the evidence.” And she couldn’t. She could tell you without really thinking about it all the flavors of homemade taffy Yummy’s carried and she was sadly proud of that fact.

“I live for the mango-ginger taffy now, but Charlie might like the banana-raspberry. I know it was my favorite when I was little-,” she offered her opinion with a smile, shifting on her feet again as she ran out of words. “I’m sure anything will go great with Tangled though. Everything’s better in front of a Disney movie.”

Maleah

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 11:42 AM

It was a big deal to her. Maleah may have seemed like she was okay with the whole baby thing, and in a way she was making the best of a tricky situation, trying to focus on the silver lining of the whole thing, but she was freaking out. Analu was being odd around her lately, her body was doing things she wasn’t used to, and she had no idea what she would say when the time came to tell her parents. She had nightmares about what their reactions would be when she finally did tell them, and she knew that the longer she kept it from them the more upset they would be with her betrayal and dishonesty. They would blame this on Analu and say that the two of them should have never moved in together and...gah! She wouldn’t think about that now. Not while she was with Owen. Not while he was doing everything he could to tell her how okay things really were and would be. She knew the time would come when she would have to figure things out for herself, but that time wasn’t now and she wouldn’t let everything out for Owen to see. She at least had to keep her poker face up. Who knew? Maybe she could fake it until she made it.

“And just as humble as I am I see-,” she said with a bit of a giggle. Maleah smiled as he proclaimed himself the King of all things Sour Patch Kids as they took the short walk back to the taffy section of the store. She gave her opinion on the candy and it seemed she made good suggestions as Owen told her banana anything was right for Charlie. She’d have to remember that...Wait. What?...Oh shit. What had she been doing? Lying to herself. She knew she couldn’t be friends with Owen, Analu would never allow that. First of all he was a guy and then he was an outsider. And by the Gods if he ever found out that Owen knew about her pregnancy before he did she knew he’d lose it, intern sitting in on the conversation or not. Damn it.

She could feel her face fall a bit as he turned back to her, shifting slightly as his eyes fell on her and he spoke again. She couldn’t help the smile that rekindled itself as he admitted his Disney expertise. Like every other girl in existence, she’d lived for Disney when she was younger. “I’m sure I could give you a run for your money-,” she said with a smirk before Charlie pulled his attention away. Maleah smiled at her, tugging on the tail of her daddy’s shirt. Guess it was time to go. But...a smirk took her lips, her teeth pulling in her bottom lip as he suggested they hang out a little longer or...come over?!

“Um, I should actually, really, um...I should be getting back home-,” her words were rushed and they sounded as nervous as she felt. She would have loved to spend more time with Owen and Charlie; and even watch the movie with them later, but...why? There was no point to starting any kind of friendship with him because if Analu ever found out he would think the worst and kill them both. She could try to reason with herself, tell herself how she was jumping to conclusions and that Lu would be find with her making new friends, but he wouldn’t. She knew him and Owen was at the top of his shit list by just being an outsider...but Leah didn’t want to let Owen down like this. She cleared her throat, a small smile returning to her face as she spoke up.

“But, maybe the movie? Can I call you later and let you know?”

Maleah

[*] posted on 21-8-2011 at 06:43 AM

It wasn’t the idea of hanging out that had her worried! It was the idea of having Analu find out and strangle them both to death. His jealous streak was a vicious one and his...distaste for outsiders was well known. There was no well in hell, or anywhere else for that matter, that he would be okay with her spending the day with a guy and then going to his house--AT NIGHT--to watch a movie. Oh, she could just hear him now, throwing the fit of the century after he stopped laughing and discovered she was serious. She wasn’t ready for all of that. She had honestly been tiptoeing around him lately, not wanting to start any fights and only really speaking to him when he spoke to her; which wasn’t often lately. The deafening silence was beginning to be too much for her though...and he would be gone for the night...no. No, she wouldn’t do this. She couldn’t...could she?

It wasn’t like he was asking her on a date or anything; it was just a movie! A Disney movie at that! Nothing could be more innocent. She was allowed to have friends right? Analu wasn’t the only guy she would ever be allowed to hang out with. He hadn’t been when they were in school...Of course, all the times she had hung out with guy friends, they were Lu’s too and he had been there. That included study sessions she had to do with classmates...weird. She never really noticed before, but she kind of hadn’t been alone with male friends...Lu was always there...

But being there would not be an option in Owen’s case. This would get a flat out no and she knew it. So she wouldn’t get his hopes too high. She smiled shyly as she told him she had to get back, but she would call him about the movie. She hated having to tell him no. He had been nothing but nice to her since meeting her and she seemed to keep letting him down. First, leaving him to worry after she left the hospital and now turning down his perfectly innocent movie invitation. It was sweet that he cared so much, but there was really nothing she could do. She couldn’t let Analu think anything outside of her being the perfect Moku woman right now and having haloe guy friends was not the way to do that. No matter how good of a guy he was.

She giggled again as he told her, in his own special way, no pressure. He was sure there were plenty of other girls he could get to watch Disney movies with him, “And I’m sure they’ll eat up your charm just like I am-,” she smiled, looking away momentarily, before he offered his number...on a business card. “Well, aren’t you fancy?” she said with a small wink, his rebuttal coming before he took Charlie’s hand. She laughed with him, a short lived laugh before she heard him offer to pick her up. She coughed a bit, choking on even the idea of him showing up to her home in the Shore and her getting into a car with him.

“No-,” she paused. There was no reason to explain his not coming to her home, because she wasn’t going to his. “I mean, yes. I’ll uh, I’ll text you and let you know.” She tried to pick her smile back up as Charlie pulled at his hand, signaling that it was time to go. “And it was very nice meeting you, Charlie-,” she waved at the small child, a smile matching hers on her lips as they headed for the line...

Getting out for the night could be nice...

Go To Top