Super Administrator

Mood: post in da back...

[*] posted on 18-4-2011 at 08:06 AM
Sparring Room

Bow to your opponent. Engage.

Zori

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 03:52 PM

"Again." And Zori waited, his arm muscles tensed, reading himself for the strike he should've received against the target pad glove on his right hand. Although...Zori couldn't help but begin to believe that the word "again" was just a suggestion. He smirked and lowered the pad, his humored gaze on the thin as a rail, seventeen year old boy standing in front of him.

"'Alika?" Zori began, watching the boy shift nervously on his bare feet. "When I say 'strike', you gotta strike. Get me? Stop holding back..." He managed a firm, but encouraging smile, watching the boy nod his head slowly before he got back into a unenthusiastic striking stance. Honestly, Zori didn't blame the kid. Alika had been coming to his gym for the past couple of months and nothing about what Zori had been teaching him was getting easier. But this is what Alika wanted. He wanted to learn to kick box and Zori had agreed, trading out personal lessons for a little maintenance around the gym. The gym wasn't normally on a "barter" system, but when it came to the local kids who's parents didn't have the income to support trivial things like "kick boxing lessons", Zori didn't hesitate to help out. And when it really came down to it, Zori couldn't lie. He saw the same hunger in Alika that he saw in himself when he was younger and looking for anyway onto the MMA scene. Sure, Zori'd already had martial arts classes by the time he was seventeen and he wasn't nearly as skinny...but that wasn't the point. The point was the kid had a dream and nothing should get in the way of a dream. Definitely not money...

"Give me something I can work with. STRIKE." Zori said again, his gloved hand going out to the side, ready for Alika's kick. As usual, Alika's expression went from uncertainty, fear and then, like he got some crazy degree of clarity, his stance steadied and he let got of a side kick that had him nearly parallel with the ground, his heel hitting the tip of Zori's glove. A loud "thwack!" filled the air around them. The kid...was a natural.

"THAT'S what I'm talking about!" Zori pulled his glove off, shaking the sting of the kick out of his palm. He couldn't help but smile. That kind of shit made him love what he did. A kid like Alika beating the odds was worth being his gym's unofficial "repairman", owning just above "par" equipment and the gym's books never quite balancing out. If Zori could've peeked into his future and watched this moment, he would've lived a little better in his past. A little happier. A little less regretful. Nothing would've been as heavy as it seemed. He was happy and life was good...

"Alright..." Zori said putting the target glove back on his hand. "I need you in the center of the glove. Again!"

"The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances."

Fumie

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 05:11 PM

KnuckleUp. It was a clever name for an MMA gym and it was very fitting now that she stood inside. The place had so much character! It was the perfect place for the training collaboration she wanted to do with Kidd’s Kids and she was so excited about finding it. A few months of clinics and workshops for something other than basketball was just what the kids already in the program needed, not to mention the neighborhood attention they could attract. This was going to be good all around. All she had to do was convince the owner of the place that a short collaboration was a good way to drum up business and an excellent way to get sizeable donations that he’d probably never dreamed of...That is if she ever got to speak to him. So far Fumie had only been able to talk to his assistant as he seemed to be the most hard working man in Kapuhai Reef. Even her meeting today was supposed to be with the assistant as he was again busy with some class or something. That was good too though. Maybe she’d be able to see exactly what it was she was signing up for before she committed. It was the reason she’d come to the gym herself.

Her heels clicked softly against the cement floors as she made her way down a narrow set of stair which seemed to lead to a bigger room. She could see a few sparring dummies and some retired punching bags lining the back wall and she could hear the voices of a couple of guys working on something. Great! This was exactly why she’d come. She kept straight, stopping where the floor became mat and the wall broke for the hallway just as a very small kid finished a kick that was much bigger than he was. This place was perfect.

“Wow,” it slipped out. She hadn’t meant to interrupt, it just happened. The kid’s sparring partner turned around and Fumie was more than surprised to see a familiar face. “Zori?” Pleasantly surprised.

I was a heavy heart to carry but, he never let me down.
When he held me in his arms my feet never touched the ground.
Zori

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 07:32 PM

Fumie. The hell was she doing here? And how the hell was Zori able to easily recall the name of a woman he'd met for ten minutes in passing at the post office...more than a week ago? Sure, they'd talked...flirted a little in the least obvious way and then, that was it, conversation done when her son's school called and requested her presence elsewhere. And that was it. Nothing more. Still, Zori easily recognized those exotic, cat eyes and the honey brown color of her hair against her bronzed, mocha skin. Ten minute conversation and he'd already memorized characteristics. Not good. And in the split second between seeing her enter his gym and hearing her call his name, those thoughts ran through his mind and his response? The most obviously pleased smile he was sure his lips could muster.

"Fumie? Hey..." His deep tenor called her name and greeted her warmly as she walked towards where he and Alika stood, Zori catching the kid's expression out of the corner of his eye. And no surprise, it was much like the one he wore. Wow. The figure fitting number she had on today was a lot more...it was different from the relaxed shorts she'd had on at the post office. And don't get him wrong, Zori wasn't complaining. At all. She just looked...different. Refined. Professional. Professional. Oh shit. The representative! The one from the charity organization he was supposed to be meeting up with that day. Damn. He'd completely forgotten. In between balancing his private sessions and managing the gym, dropping in on the meeting he'd made his assistant manager, Emma, handle had slipped his mind. He would never stop being grateful for her. And if there were small blessings, he was getting one at the moment as the representative was apparently Fumie.

"I'm guessing you're the rep that Emma scheduled a meeting with, yeah?" He took of his target glove, throwing them to the mat as he walked forward, his hand reaching out and clasping her much smaller one. "Small world..."

Small world didn't even begin to explain how...surprised he was that Fumie was standing in front of him again. He could admit that the abrupt end to their conversation had him a little disappointed, but Fumie had business to handle. Business that was much more important than a conversation with a random stranger. But this was a plus. A chance to carry on the conversation that they hadn't been able to finish.

"Sorry for the impromptu meeting. The gym keeps me on my toes." He apologized graciously, nodding towards the stack of towels in the corner of the room, hoping that Alika would get the point.

Fumie

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 02:27 PM

He remembered her. She couldn’t help the smile that seemed a permanent fixture on her face as he greeted her. By name. A ten minute conversation in a crowded post office more than a week ago and he still knew details...Shemar did his absolute best to make her feel like there was nothing remotely remarkable about her so it was nice to know she was memorable to someone. Zori especially, if she was being honest with herself. He was just as yummy as ever. Freshly twisted dreads, that smooth mahogany complexion, and those steel grey eyes. Good God...He spoke again pulling her out of her thoughts and asking if she was “the rep” Emma scheduled. How would he know what...No...This was not his gym. The assistant had been very professional in all their correspondence so the only name she had for the owner was Mr. Blount and she’d never thought to ask for a first name. She figured she’d get it when she met him at this meeting...Turns out they’d already met.

“And of course you’re the Mr. Blount who I can never get on the phone,” she laughed a bit, before finishing her thought at the same time he finished his. “Small world...” Her smile grew. Small world wasn’t even the phrase. Who ever would have thought that the handsome stranger, “Mr. Helpful”, from the post office, would have been a potential business partner less than a week later...Maybe after they were finished with the business they needed to handle they could get back to the conversation that’d been interrupted. Maybe over dinner...She could hope, but even as she had the thought her brain simultaneously went to work trying to figure out how she would explain dinner with another man to her husband...something he probably never even thought twice about. Why should he. He just told her the truth...I empower you, baby... Ugh. Fuckboy. But she wasn’t here to think about him and the true level of “ain’t shit” he was. She was here to talk to Zori about Kidd’s Kids partnering with his gym. And they would.

He apologized, something completely unnecessary as he nodded toward the towels for his sparring partner. Oops. “Oh, I didn’t mean to interrupt anything,” she took a small step back, realizing that she’d done exactly what she claimed she hadn’t meant to. “I’m a few minutes early and I was just taking a look around...I do love this place. It’s perfect for what we want to do with our kids.”

Zori

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 04:26 PM

No, she was the one who didn't need to apologize. Interrupting was the last thing that Fumie was doing when she'd walked into the room and unintentionally made her presence known. Before, she'd been a welcomed surprise. And now that Zori matched the person with the profession, she was a welcomed appointment. Point was...she was welcome. And unexpected. It was kind of...surreal, he had to admit. The beautiful stranger that he had chatted up in the post office turning out to be the contact from the nonprofit that had been attempting contact with him for the past couple of days. He'd made a meeting when he'd heard the organization's name, not even knowing that he'd already made contact. He'd meant what he'd said. It was an incredibly small world. Not just professionally, but personally as well. When Fumie left with the same "bigger than life" box she'd walked in the post office with, Zori was sure he wouldn't see her again, chalking their meeting up to a one time thing and pretty much leaving the interaction where it had started. But, as fate happened to do so much in his life, here Fumie was, standing in front of him. That same welcoming, bright mile on her face that she'd worn when he'd first run into her. And when fate presented "second chances", Zori paid close attention to them.

"You weren't interrupting...at all." Catching the towel that Alika had thrown to him as he guzzled down a well deserved bottle of water, Zori toweled the back of his damp neck as he'd worked up a bit of a sweat training with his student. He couldn't help but emphasize the point of Fumie's non-intrusion by beckoning her forward as he toweled himself off and Alike followed suit, his curious eyes questioning Fumie's presence. Zori pat his shoulder as walked closer, both listening to Fumie as she spoke, complimenting the gym. Oh, she'd fallen in love with it? Not strange at all considering that outside of Papa, his two year old pit and his Momma, he honestly couldn't think of one thing he loved more. He'd put sweat, a little blood and yeah, even some tears into the place so it was easy to understand why he felt his chest swell when Fumie expressed her admiration of the place.

"Good. I'm glad you're feeling the place..." He said simply, his heavy arm going around Alika's neck. "...it definitely meets the needs of the community's kids, right Alika?" He josseled the kid playfully, a slight smirk crossing his face before he ruffled Alika's wet hair.

"Hopefully it can do the same for yours." Without hesitation, he handed Alika his own towel and turned to him. "Head upstairs. Pull ups. Three reps. Don't cheat me..." He told him quickly before Alika made his way upstairs without a word of defiance. He knew better.

"So..." Zori began, his eyes settling back on Fumie, Emma standing beside her. "Let's get down to business. So, you're from Kidd's Kids. Gotta tell you that I respect the work y'all do. Being an inner city kid and all..."

Fumie

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 06:03 PM

Why couldn’t she stop smiling at him?! Even as he told her she wasn’t interrupting, her lips didn’t relax and her eyes wouldn’t leave his. God, everything in her wanted to put on her professional face and make shit happen as per usual, but her stupid, girlish grin would not fade. He’d had this effect on her last time too. She knew what it was and it didn’t confuse her. It was the way he looked at her. Even after putting two and two together and knowing her reason for being here he still watched her as if there was...potential there. Like he wanted to know her. Like she mattered...But things weren’t about her right now. It was about the gym. It was about the charity. And it was about a partnership between the two. Fumie was more than committed to what she came here to do now that she knew it might mean spending more time with Zori. Of course, it was all about the kids and doing good in the community, but if she could also spend a little more time with a man who thought she mattered...well that would be a nice change of pace.

Zori’s demeanor with his students would also be an asset to the vision she had for this collaboration. She watched him as he interacted with the boy, Alika, whose eyes hadn’t stopped questioning Fumie’s presence since her arrival. He was gentle, yet firm, giving him an assignment before sending him back upstairs into the main gym. Zori was perfect. In more ways than one. Fumie watched Alika leave as another woman entered. She spoke syaing that she was just coming to get Zori for their appointment. “You must be Emma then,” Fumie replied, her hand outstretched for Emma to shake. She took it, as she stopped beside her and Zori began.

“We just do what we can. And the reason I’m here is to show you how much more we could be doing if you wanted to participate in a three month kind of “mini-camp” for some of our kids with an interest in mixed martial arts.” She was trying her damnedest to stop that smile and although it faded a little she felt kind of like a cheerleader as she attempted to sell her vision. Her eyes finally slipped from Zori, hoping that Emma would ease her back into business mode. “All we’re really asking for is a little of your time, no more than 3 days a week, to teach a few classes. In exchange, you’ll get local and national publicity from the media coverage, probably a boost in membership, not to mention a third of all donation proceeds we get during the collaboration.”

It was a good deal. She specialized in good deals. Of course, it would mean a little more work for him on what seemed like an already full plate, but she could help with that too. She was prepared to quell any uneasiness he felt about this deal because it was what she wanted.And when it came to things that had to do with the organization, she got what she wanted. She treated the kids in the program like her own and she’d most certainly do anything for her own children.

Zori

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 07:36 PM

The incentives of partnering with Kidd's Kids were, Zori had to admit, nice. The business owner in him couldn't help when his interests peaked at the mention of "boost in membership" and "a third of all donation proceeds". But that wasn't what sold him. Money had honestly never been. Keeping his gym alive, well tended and populated was definitely a concern, but the reason FOR the gym was more important. Always had been from the second he'd opened it. KnuckleUp wasn't just a business venture and Zori's livelihood. It was a tie to the community. It was a way to impact the area around him, not just fill the space surrounding him. When he was younger, it was about him. Him making enough money to get out of the 9th ward. Him getting his foot in the door when it came to the MMA scene. Him being happy, finding love and finally finding himself. But age and experience brought much change. Consciousness changed as there was something about being aware of everything outside of himself. That was what made the gym important. Being able to touch lives using the things he knew. And that's what made being involved with Kidd's Kids important. It wasn't the money or the notoriety. It was the ability to make a change.

Zori nodded quietly as Fumie spoke, finishing her spill about the part he would play in the partnership with the organization. While she spoke, Emma handed Zori papers to sign for equipment repairs, membership agreements and the likes. As usual, she barely peeped when Fumie introduced herself and excited as soon as the forms she held in hand were completed. She was definitely a quiet one, but at least she was thorough.

"I like what I'm hearing, I really do...I guess I was asking more about the kids that we'd be working with here at the gym. I hear Oahu has some rough spots and...I guess I was hoping that those were the kids that this partnership would service." Zori hated to be so forward, but when you wanted questions answered you couldn't be afraid to ask the right ones. He also, in those few words, wanted her to know that the money was one of the last things he was there for. Not that he didn't NEED it, he just wasn't focused on it. Although some of his employees would've felt differently...

"You seem to really have a connection with Kidd's Kids. How long have you worked with the organization...you know, if you don't mind me asking?" Okay, so that was a question that had nothing to do with his gym and the charity, but just to keep it "really real"? He couldn't help it. He wanted to know about Fumie. He wanted to dig into the things that he hadn't been able to ask her in the post office. Why did she choose to work with a charity? What brought her to KR? How old was her son? That last one was a BIG question that probably would come later. The fact was, he wanted...he just wanted to talk...with a beautiful woman. Nothing was wrong with that...

Fumie

[*] posted on 13-6-2013 at 05:28 PM

Perks were what Fumie trafficked in. Ever since founding Kidd’s Kids in the middle of Shemar’s career (sometime after girlfriend number three that she knew about), she had never hesitated to do everything she could for anyone the organization touched. Partners sure, but the kids especially. Most of the kids they serviced were kids that had gotten a really bad shake in life and just needed a little attention from someone positive. She’d never been that kid, but she knew kids like that coming up and a lot of them never got to finish “coming up”. To start, the organization was an attempt to get Shemar’s attention but things changed when she realized she was actually doing something for these kids that no one else was willing to. She was paying attention. She was making a change. And she was trying to get Zori on her team to do the same thing. When things came down to the core, it was about the kids. Seemed to be the same for Zori.

He wanted to know more about the kids. Fumie couldn’t help it, her smile brightening yet again as he easily pushed the money she was throwing at him to the side for what was important to him. “Well I see Mr. Helpful is also Mr. Good-Guy-,” she looked away, sure that the look she was giving him was completely inappropriate for business. Her eyes scanned the ground as she regained her composure to start again...she would finish her statement though, “I like that.” Looking back into his eyes, she started again. With business.

“We’ve got kids coming from a little bit of everywhere for this one. I want to run it like a summer camp so we’re flying kids in from Detroit, DC, Chicago, and yes, even a few from rough parts of Oahu, two boys from Makaha and a little girl from Waianae.” Yes, she already knew very well the kids that were coming and if he was interested in names and backstories she could easily give them as they stood here, but she was sure that wouldn’t be necessary. She could see it on his face, how satisfied he was. She could also hear it in his voice as he asked her about her connection with Kidd’s Kids. Right...

Fumie again found herself feeling awkward. She could easily tell him the truth; how she started Kidd’s Kids “with” her husband and she’d loved it from the start...or she could tell a half truth, “I’ve been with it from the start. I guess I kinda feed off the passion these kids have to do something...more with themselves. They all want it...I just like feeling like I help them get there.” Her smile was back, as she watched him, watching her.

He was doing it again. That look that said she was wanted.

Zori

[*] posted on 19-6-2013 at 07:48 AM

From "Mr. Helpful" to "Mr. Good Guy", huh? That wasn't something Zori hadn't heard before. Mostly because it was who he was...now. He couldn't always say that the personality he carried and the heart he had for the community was who he'd always been. It was only time, understanding and a hellova lot of growing up that changed him, changed who he was and who he wanted to be. And he knew that he could profit that to organizations like the one Fumie was asking him to become a part of. An organization like hers paid for his martial arts training; kept him out of the streets. Kept him above the ground instead of six feet under it. He knew the importance of knowing that there were people who actually gave a damn, no strings attached. Zori was given a chance to see the man he could be, the man he was now, because of people like Fumie. There wasn't a doubt in his mind about joining up with her and playing a small part in paying it forward.

I like that. A soft smirk shadowed across his lips as he heard the end of her statement. He could tell. He could tell that her reaction was completely true when it came to his desire to help out. He saw the respect she wore in the look she gave him...and something else. Something that probably shouldn't have been included in a "professional" meeting between a future partnership. Really though? Zori was sure some of his expressions weren't too "professional" either. Especially, the one he'd given her when she walked through the door wearing a dress that could stop cars in their...

STOP. Focus... And there it was again. The inner dialogue that had tried so desperately all his life to keep him out of trouble and focused. The voice that TRIED to keep balance between good and bad in his life as he had a penchant for choosing "bad" and tipping the scales. But...nothing about Fumie seemed...bad. Zori could already tell she was a woman about her business as she seemed to be one, if not the top spokesperson for the organization. She was intelligent, well spoken and more than easy on the eyes. She had a son. So what? If his fate had been different, he probably would've had a couple of kids, too. There wasn't a warning sign in sight. That being said, why was his conscience speaking up? Because you is trying to protect YOU. And that was the obvious answer. Zori could admit, he'd been through it. Bad decisions didn't exclude the women in his life...and to think that his mind didn't remember and that his heart didn't feel the pain from the past was foolish. Because it did...HE remembered. It was the reason why Hawaii was home now. To get away from all the things that he couldn't help but remember. But just like he'd started over...fresh, made a new name for himself here, couldn't he do that with love as well?

Tuning back into what Fumie was saying, she answered his question with the fervor he'd expected. She'd been with the foundation from the start and she liked helping kids reach their dreams. Zori liked that. He liked that selfless need to make a difference. In a world so heavy with pleasure and self fulfillment, that was refreshing. She...was refreshing.

"And I like that." He said, repeating her words as a wide smile crept over his face. He looked away from her gaze, his eyes focusing on his wraps as he felt the strong need to take them off...just so he wouldn't have to see the blush in her cheeks. And maybe...she wouldn't see his.

"Really though, I would love to be a part of what you and Kidd's Kids are doing. Count me in..."

Fumie

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 08:40 AM

Count me in...That was fantastic! Fumie felt her smile grow as the words left Zori’s mouth and put a verbal seal on the deal they were making. He was in and things would proceed as planned, instead of her resorting to ‘Plan B’, which was an slightly less cool summer of surf rather than MMA training. She was more than excited as this was what the kids had asked for and this was what she would now say she could definitely deliver. The kids would be happy, Zori would get some of the things he needed for his gym, and Fumie...Fumie would get to see more of him...She had already come to the conclusion that she liked him the day she met him in that post office and she had no problem admitting that to herself. Where her dilemma started was when she asked herself what liking him meant.

She was married. As much as she hated it, as much as she wished on a daily basis that she had never married Shemar, she couldn’t ignore the fact that she was indeed his wife...It wasn’t fair. Something he could and, more often than not, did ignore was the only thing she could think about when it came to making a decision about someone she wanted. She knew not a person in the world would judge her for starting something with Zori, but she...couldn’t. It wasn’t fair...and not to Shemar or to Fumie but to Zori. He was a good guy and lying to him and starting a relationship she could never fully be in wasn’t fair to him...She wasn’t as selfish as her husband. Fumie didn’t have it in her to do that to people. Of course, that didn’t mean she wasn’t going to torture herself in the name of business.

“That’s awesome, Zori, thank you-,” She put her hand out for a shake on the deal just as he finished unwrapping his wrists. “I do have a few things I have to get you to sign, but we can set something else up for a little later.” She was making excuses to see him again. She was and she wasn’t even being slick about it. This was wrong... “In fact, why don’t you,” Fumie paused reaching into her bag, retrieving a small white envelope, “come to our kick-off fundraiser. It has a long fancy ‘10th Annual’ type name but it’s basically us asking rich people for money.” She smiled, handing him the invitation, “It just dinner and a reception, but the music will be good and the food’s not 10 grand a plate for no reason.” Fumie laughed a little at her minimal description of an event that had been anything but minimal to her over the past few months. “There’s even a plus one for Emma, or your...girlfriend, or whoever.”

God, she was so wrong!

Zori

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 12:03 PM

As he removed his last wrap, he threw them to the mat and returned Fumie's handshake, making the partnership between them solid. Of course there was paperwork and the likes to fill out, but as far as Zori was concerned, it was a done deal and over...and so was them talking business? Not like Zori knew anything other than small chat to give Fumie, but it was nice. Chatting with her, that is. He couldn't ignore how well the vibed in the post office and right now. It was...something that Zori hadn't had in a couple of "moments". It'd been awhile. There was no wondering why he didn't want the conversation to stop. But it looked like it was, Fumie offering her gratitude for Zori's agreeing to work with the foundation. And even though he knew it was probably VERY stupid of him to even try, especially with someone he probably would be working along side in the future, he wanted to...keep doing this. The chatting, the subtle flirting. He kind of just wanted to keep hearing her laugh. It was...contagious. A real laugh. Not one of those "courtesy" laughs that women tended to give during conversations. He liked how genuine it was. And that was why an exit was too soon for her.

"No, thank you for considering me...and the gym." Considering him? Hell, she hadn't even known who he was when she walked into the gym. He really hadn't meant for that to sound as crazy as it did. Thankfully she spoke after him, talking about the forms he'd have to eventually fill out and...a kick-off fundraiser? Zori listened to her give him a little information about the event as she reached in her purse and pulled out a white envelope. Uh...he wasn't being rude when the thought crossed his mind that he was about to be in over his head as anything "black tie" was definitely over his head. He knew the basics on manners and etiquette and that was about it. Rubbing elbows with people that could afford a ten grand dinner plate? Not even close to what he was use to. But instead of backing out, he reached for the envelope, a nod of his head in gratitude as he pulled out the invitation and read, reaching the "plus one" the moment Fumie mentioned it.

"Oh...uh..." He said, another smile breaking as he tried to figure out a way to let her know that outside of his Momma, there really wasn't any significant "she" in his life. There hadn't been for awhile...

"No girlfriend..." He said simply, biting his lip through a smile. "And no 'whoever' either." He chuckled a little turning the envelope over in his hands.

"Maybe you'd like to be my plus one? That is, if you're not going with anyone either..."

Fumie

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 03:11 PM

Had she seriously just said that? Really?! She had just asked about this man’s girlfriend as if that were any of her business! Why couldn’t she have simply given him the invite and called it all quits? Business was done and her time here should have been too...but, she lingered. She lingered because she liked being around him. She enjoyed his company. She wanted more of it. Was it a crime for her to simply talk to the man? To make a new friend? She knew it was. Because it wasn’t his friendship she wanted; she wanted more. It wasn’t the first time she’d thought about it since things had gone so wrong with Shemar. She’d wanted plenty men before Zori, but there was something about him...something that kept telling her to throw caution to the wind and finally make herself happy. But then there was another voice...the voice that kept telling her how unfair that would be...

But she had asked, and before she could clean it up and apologize for being so forward he was answering, a shy smile on his lips as he paused before telling her...No girlfriend... She couldn’t help the smile that turned into a small giggle that blended with a chuckle of his after he explained that there was no ‘whoever’ either. She liked that. More so than him being Mr. Good Guy. He was Mr. Available Good Guy and Fumie couldn’t help but think how that was more unfair to her than anything ever had been...Nope. She spoke too soon.

For the first time that afternoon her smile faltered. Maybe you'd like to be my plus one? That is, if you're not going with anyone either... She wanted nothing more in life than to tell him absolutely. Yes. That there was no one else and she would love to be his plus one. But that voice...that damn voice in her head, her do the right thing voice. It was screaming at her about how unfair she was being right now. It was telling her she was wrong...

“Oh Zori...-,” she sighed, looking away as the smile fell completely, actually becoming a subconscious pout at not getting her way. “I can’t. I mean, there is nothing I would want more than to be your plus one to this thing, but...I haven’t been completely honest with you and it wouldn’t be fair to you...” She wasn’t making any sense. She wasn’t saying what needed to be said. “I’m, uh...,” she didn’t finish, sighing deeply as she held up the back of her hand and let the ring speak for itself.

She was a complete asshole.

Zori

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 04:56 PM

Stupid. He was...damn. He was stupid...and clumsy and...she was married?! Zori couldn't stop looking at the ring on the hand that Fumie had held up to him. Left hand...fourth finger down...huge ass rock. And huge ass humiliation. He was embarrassed. There was no regulation of heart beat that could've kept the blood from rushing to his face and the heat from making his skin prickle uncomfortably. He was usually more...careful. Especially about things like this. He always checked the ring finger. Or at least he always had as it had safely been four years since he'd been interested in ANY woman. And checking that left hand had been second nature until now. Now, he was clumsy...and green as hell. All that staying away from anything that looked like it could've been exotic or attractive and he'd lost the one thing that he at least had a little bit of. Common sense. And now he knew why he should've kept his mouth closed. Now he knew why even though Fumie was intelligent, driven and beautiful, she was hands off. Because she was married.

"Damn..." He said, noticing the inviting smile that she'd carried their entire informal meeting had left her face. Great. He'd asked out a married woman that just so happened to be one of the representatives of a foundation that he'd just partnered with...and he'd also offended that same representative. The luck. No seriously, this was the "luck" that Zori had been talking about. And when he said luck, he definitely was making reference to the lack of.

"I-let me apologize..." He really didn't have to ask to apologize, did he? He could've just gone ahead a done it...and he would've if he could've found the words he was looking for. But it seemed like every word of the English language...and Creole too had just excited his brain...right along with his dignity.

"...that was unprofessional...as hell." He scoffed, realizing that he'd just cursed. "And so was that..." His chuckle was definitely inappropriate but he couldn't hold it back. Wasn't it just like right that he'd ignored dating for four years and when he finally asked someone out, she turned out to be somebody's wife. Wait...wife. Didn't she say that she'd worked for Kidd's Kids since the very beginning? And any one that researched the organization knew that it was owned by none other than Shemar Kidd and operated by...his wife, right? And with a rock that big, that many responsibilities...and clothes that expensive...

"Wait. Fumie...Kidd. Right?"

Fumie

[*] posted on 22-6-2013 at 06:00 PM

Oh God she was a complete and total asshole! She watched Zori’s cheeks flush as hers did the same and they enjoyed the most awkward silence.Floored didn’t begin to cover it and as Fumie opened her mouth to apologize, Zori started first, a ‘damn’ leaving him before anything else did. She knew. God, she was so fucking sorry about all this. She was so sorry but her mouth would not make any words. It was open, and all she could think of was the apology he was owed for leading him on like she had, but nothing came. She was stuck...She had never had to tell a man she was married before! Usually she was able to control herself. Keep things professional when necessary, light, when not in that setting, but with him...God, she was a complete and total asshole!

He suggested an apology on his behalf and Fumie thought she might explode! Before she knew what she was saying the words, “Oh, God please, don’t,” were leaving her mouth in the most pleading tone possible. It was unnecessary. This was all her fault and she owed him the apology. She’d been leading him from day one. Granted, neither of them knew day one would bring them here, together again, but she should have stopped with the flirting and the subtlety as soon as she found out there were doing business together. She was wrong. So fucking wrong.

Yes, unprofessional was the exact word! But it wasn’t him. She shook her head, unable to hold the eye contact they had been holding since her arrival. “No. Zori really, please stop. This is not your fault at all, it’s mine. I just...” she didn’t need to go into why she’d done it. Why she’d flirted and toyed with his emotions. How her marriage to Shemar was complete shit and Zori had been the first man in a long time to look at her like she was...something. He didn’t need her sob story. He probably didn’t want to hear it now...and things only kept getting worse...

Wait. Fumie...Kidd... God. She hated the fucking sound of it now. Having herself associated with the world’s biggest fucking asshole and knowing that his assholish tendencies had rubbed off on her...Ugh! Going back to her maiden name and pretending Shemar never happened would be heaven...But this was earth...and it was feeling more and more like hell by the second. “Yeah. Kidd.” She sighed, her lip catching between her teeth as she tried to think of something to salvage this. “Zori, I’m really sorry...You’re such a great guy I just...I couldn’t...-,” what? Resist? Help herself? Stop things before they got to this point and they both felt like complete assholes?

God she was so fucking stupid!

Zori

[*] posted on 24-6-2013 at 05:02 AM

Her fault? How was any of this ALL her fault. If Zori had to sum up everything, from the post office until now? He'd have to say they shared responsibility. He never asked and Fumie never told. He never looked for the ring that couldn't be unseen now and she didn't make it obvious or show it. So no, he wasn't about to stand there and place blame all on her for something that was...still innocent. They'd flirted a little, but it was harmless. When it came down to it, she'd denied him...which she was utterly justified in doing and they hadn't gone any further than that. Married Yeah, he couldn't deny it...he sure knew how to pick them. Whether they were emotionally or physically unavailable, Zori couldn't help but hone in on them and...yeah. With a sigh, he shook his head, a smirk keeping him from disagreeing with Fumie's self-blame. There was no way she was letting go of the blame she felt and he understood it. She was faithful...there was a little chemistry. She felt bad about it. Zori would've probably felt the same way if he was wifed up.

"No blame, okay?" He said, interrupting her words as they faltered. There wasn't going to be a back and forth about who did what because Zori...Zori wasn't going to let it turn into that. Especially when their partnership still hung in the balance. Especially when he finally figured out who he was talking to. Fumie Hamada-Kidd. The wife of one of the NBA greats and the chair of his non-profit. The fucking luck...

"Wow..." He muttered, nervously rubbing the back of his neck as he broke eye contact, her words confirming what he assumed. What he should've assumed from the moment she walked into the room. Hell, what he should've KNOWN when he saw her drive off in that Range Rover the day she left the post office. And...and she was apologizing again.

"No. You don't do that." He said, giving her the best, reassuring smile he could muster. It probably looked a lot like a grimace, but he meant it. She didn't have to feel guilty about something they DIDN'T do. She was a good wife. He could tell. And Shemar Kidd? He was lucky as hell to have her.

"Hey. We're good. No more apologizing for something that didn't happen." And with that, he squashed it. "Besides, you just made a partner for your organization...and I've...gotta find a tux, right?" He commented, chuckling to break the awkwardness.

Fumie

[*] posted on 24-6-2013 at 05:36 PM

No, no. She was in the wrong here. Zori was a great man, but he was a man nonetheless. Men weren’t about details, they weren’t about...ugh! Why hadn’t she said anything sooner! Why hadn’t she made it more obvious; Shemar sure as hell bought her a big enough ring. She...she had been selfish. She hadn’t said anything about Shemar because she wanted what she wanted. And what she wanted was for him to not exist. With each passing day Shemar became more and more of a burden than a blessing and there were times, like when she was with Zori, that she just wished he’d never happened to her. That he didn’t fucking exist, period...but he did. He was her husband of more years than he should have been and the father of her children. She may not have respected him for much else, but those things...they were things she’d promised to honor. Even if it meant more uncomfortable moments like these...

Wow... Yeah...wow. She shouldn’t have let this happen. Again, Fumie found herself trying to make things okay with an apology. He stopped her as her words failed yet again. She wanted so badly to explain herself. To tell him she wasn’t the horrible person that she felt like, she was just...complicated. Her entire life was complicated and she hadn’t meant to almost drag him into that. But according to him, they were good. They were apologizing for something that hadn’t happened...

“Right...-,” she spoke slowly, unsure of what should come next. “I guess...this has been awkward enough for the day-,” she fidgeted, pushing the hair out of her face, “I guess I’ll see you at the, uh...the thing.” She gestured to the invite, not even able to collect her thoughts to call the event what it was. She was done talking. She was just...really sorry.

And really ready to leave.

Fumie

[*] posted on 21-1-2015 at 03:02 PM

Fumie laughed as she collapsed onto her stomach. Push ups had never been her thing. She had no upper body strength. All of her power was in her legs. Squats, lunges, she could do those all day. Anything that required her arms to hold her body weight? Nope. Granted, Zori was working her. She was getting better. When they started this he might have been able to get 5 half assed push ups out of her before she collapsed; they were at least 20 ahead of that now and Zo would always tell her her form was getting better...It was funny, she thought she would have a hard time with this. Spending time alone with Zori for these “privates”, but she rarely found her mind in the gutter when they were working out. Every now and then, when his hand touched the skin of her waist to even out her hips in a stance maybe she felt a little something. But Zori was a good instructor. He kept her focused...and allowed her to be a little silly sometimes.

She rolled over onto her back, watching him finish his reps...and keep going. Fumie rolled her eyes playfully as he silently teased her. He always said she didn’t push hard enough and whenever she gave up he went above and beyond to show her it was possible. She rolled again, coming to stand this time as she moved beside him and sat on his back. He paused, laughing with her. “What now showoff?”

He didn’t respond with words, but dipped down to start again. Fumie gave a surprised yelp as she tried her damnedest to keep herself from falling off his back.

He was so rude!

Zori

[*] posted on 21-1-2015 at 04:06 PM

"Come on, mama..." Zori huffed as he lowered himself to the floor effortlessly, his body no where near stopping or slowing down. "I know you got a couple more in you." He smirked at his comment, feeling her eyes roll at him even though he didn't see her do it. What she'd given him was what she had, but he had to admit...it was better than what they'd started with. Their face day was hell...for her. Meditation, cardio for warm up and kickboxing. By the end of the session, she'd probably felt muscles she hadn't felt in awhile. But Zori told her when they'd had that conversation in his office weeks ago. He was gonna work her...and he wasn't going to be easy on her because she happened to be his business partner. He'd been a man of his word...in more ways than one. Things had been strictly platonic between them. They'd stuck to the business of him distracting her mind from the heaviness of her life and strengthening and disciplining her body...and she'd stuck to the business of letting him. Sure, things got...interesting from time to time. Like when they sparred, his hands reaching out to fix her form before he thought about what "appropriate distance" looked like. And Their bodies making contact in the midst of joking when things got friendly. But he kept the "main thing" the main thing, though, his mind keeping both their bodies in check.

The reps that they were supposed to finish together ended, but Zori kept going...for good measure, of course. Or maybe he did it just to mess with her which seemed more like right. And it seemed like she thought so too, leaving the floor and coming to stand next to...no, make that "sit on" him. A laugh escaped him as he paused, grinning at her before he lowered himself to the floor again, nearly knocking her off his back from the way he felt her kilter on him.

"You ready to break or you wanna keep being jealous? 'Cause I can do this all day..." He asked, his baritone voice full of the laughs that she always pulled from him. Moving to stand, Fumie stood with him, both walking towards the metal bench that had served as their break spot for the past few weeks. He picked up her water from the bench and softly tossed it to her.

"Minute break and then we're going into sparring." He reported as he picked up his towel from the bench, although she already knew, their habitual session finally sinking in.

Fumie

[*] posted on 23-1-2015 at 08:14 AM

Fumie laughed, trying her hardest not to make a fool of herself and fly off of Zori’s back. Something that obviously wasn’t phasing him as he hadn’t slowed down. In fact, he could “do this all day”. Whatever! Hr laugh turned to a giggle as he finally shopped and gave her the chance to stand. She would take the break. Their warm up was always a bit of a workout in itself. “Whatever, Mr. Universe-,” Fumie giggled as she caught her water, taking a seat. “I don’t have to be jealous. If we keep going like we are I’ll be on your level next week.” She drank, listening to him laugh at her little over exaggeration...She didn’t have fun like this with anyone else.

She was drifting again. Fumie could always feel when she was doing it; veering into “I really shouldn’t” territory with her thoughts about Zori. ut she couldn’t help it sometimes! He really was the only person she really laughed with these days. Sure, she had Eri sometimes. Her baby always had a way of making her smile; something she was trying to cherish before she became a moody and emotional teenager (hopefully a little less so than her brother). But that was different than what she felt with Zori. She didn’t have to think about pleasing him, she just did and their effortlessness was...a relief. She loved being around him because it was time when she didn’t have to work at pleasing anyone. They clicked. It was easy.

She smiled at him as he sat next to her and the overwhelming need to know more flooded her again. More of what? Who cared. She just wanted to listen to him tell her about him, about who he was, what made him tick, why he was so freaking easy to be around. What was it...and why wasn’t anyone else enjoying it?

“Zo, where is your girlfriend?” A blunt question and completely out of nowhere, but she was curious. Why wasn’t he with anyone? “You’re…-” Fumie allowed herself to give him a semi-platonic once over, her hand moving and an elevator motion to match her eyes. “You. I know I can’t be the only one who…finds you attractive.” What? It was true. And at least she hadn’t said what she was thinking initially.

Zori

[*] posted on 23-1-2015 at 04:03 PM

Sitting on the bench, Zori wiped the "barely there" layer of sweat on his face and neck away and threw his towel to one side as he took the time to look at Fumie on his other side...and catch her smile. He'd only caught a few of them, knowing she had a couple of good ones in her arsenal...but this one was his favorite. Her eyes, which were already beautiful as hell, lit up and she looked-she genuinely looked...happy. That was the only word he could use to describe her. An amazing, happy woman. Not that he should've been entertaining thoughts about her, but he liked her that way. Like every second of what she was doing was adding to that joy and even though she'd barely gotten through a couple of reps of push ups, she'd enjoyed every minute of it. Every session didn't start that way. Some days her smile was so transparent that Zori could see right through it. They meditated longer on those days. But today was a good day, he could tell. It was in her laugh, the way she joked around with him...it was all over her. She shined with it. Zori's smirk turned into a wide smile, a flash of the tiny gap people rarely got a chance to see coming and leaving before he was sure she even got a glimpse of it.

Reel it back in, nigga. Hesitantly he looked away from her face as he heard the only thing that kept his dumb ass in check...himself. Yeah, she was beautiful. That was evident. She was also somebody's wife...and the mother of somebody's child. And none of those things had Zori's name on it. So, he would keep his fucking gap and his eyes to himself. It hadn't been hard...okay it'd been a little difficult. The deal they'd made had gone well. He'd given her his time and she'd given him her attention, getting lost in the workout when they were busy with their session. And the one thing that hadn't surfaced? Her attraction to him...and his to her. Yeah. Zori could admit it. There was still...she was still fine. A fine woman and before the workouts, she'd already had the body to match. She was smart, had goals, made moves...and...he was still not the one in her life who could benefit from anything he'd just named. And that shit? He kept it under wraps, keeping it professional and friendly. Could he say that? That they were beginning to be friends? Yeah. He could. It was kind of on the surface, but it was a friendship. They shared laughs. They talked freely...well, within reason. And this...was what Zori had wanted. For her to see that it wasn't about him. It was about having somewhere where she could get her mind off...

Zo, where is your girlfriend? Shit. Zori lifted his head and looked straight at Fumie, damn near grateful that he hadn't opened his water and started drinking off of it yet. 'Cause he would've choked and embarrassed the shit out of himself. The hell had Fumie just asked him? Chuckling for lack of a reply, he grabbed his water bottle lying beside his towel and cracked it open, taking a huge swig as she continued to talk. About how he...wow. Was attractive?

"You're in violation..." He laughed, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "You know that right?" He was joking, but she kind of...was. Their agreement? To keep the flirting, the hands...shit, everything that would've made their workouts more than friendship. Sure, the occasional hand slipped during a session (completely by accident, he swore) or a look lingered too long, but saying he was...attractive? He sighed as she waited for the answer he was definitely going to have to give. Was he taking it too seriously?

"Uh..." He hesitated, clearing his throat carefully. "...I don't really have one."

"It's just me...and Papa. Been that way for awhile. Why you wanna know? You prying?" He laughed again, propping himself on his knees as he checked his watch and realized he was getting ready to live the longest minute of his life.

Fumie

[*] posted on 23-1-2015 at 04:57 PM

Oops. Had she overstepped? Ha. As if she didn’t know. The look on Zori’s face told her how unprepared he was for that question and if she had to describe the look after he heard she found him attractive? Fumie allowed herself to giggle a little. She was about to ask him what was wrong, but he spoke first. She was in violation. Ahh, yes. The terms of their platonic agreement. But she wasn’t being too forward. Friends talked about their love lives with one another! They were at least that weren’t they? Friends? Sure, she would say so. They spent enough time together. Outside of the business they had in common they talked about other things. Just never this...today was a new day and this was just a friendly chat.

“Violation of what?” Fumie shrugged, her face feigning innocence as her tone came to match it. “I’m just asking.” And she was. Only asking. Sure, maybe a small, sinister part of her was curious for reasons that were less than virtuous, but mostly she just wanted to know more about him...and how he spent his free time...and with who. She really just couldn’t understand a guy like him being single. He was kind and smart and funny and she never felt like leaving when her time with him was up and...she was getting carried away. But the point was, Zori was a good guy...there had to be somebody.

So she waited as he debated whether or not he was going to answer her question. She bit her lip nervously as he finally spoke, his words unsure. He didn’t “really” have one. Well that could mean a lot of things. What was that really about? Fumie couldn’t imagine Zori being one to sleep with a girl on the regular and not call her his girlfriend. Or maybe that “really” was “not at all”. Either way…

“I knew that already. What I’m asking is why…” she took a sip from her water bottle again, “No one fits your type or…?” her questions lingered again. She didn’t know what she was fishing for, she was just...asking. Fumie would keep telling herself this was all in good fun. A conversation to prolong a break so she could catch her breath a little more...but what was she doing really? She wasn’t sure and it seemed Zori couldn’t figure it out either. He steered away from her question. Just him and Papa, the dog he’d mentioned a few times before. Fumie nodded her understanding as his time for questions came. Why you wanna know?

She smiled a little harder, feeling her face go hot like a high school kid with a crush. “I’m just trying to get to know you...Seeing what makes Mr. Universe tick.” She put her water bottle down by her feet, her eyes still on his. “I’ll be fair. Ask me something if you want.”

Zori

[*] posted on 23-1-2015 at 06:31 PM

What made him tick? Certainly not a relationship as he would've been boring or dead years ago. So, Zori had given the safer answer to the "relationship" question. It was just he and his dog. He didn't have the time. He'd been on the island for years and no one had caught his eye. He was a celibate monk that had sworn off all contact with women and now he'd live his life in exile as a recluse. The more he thought about it, all of that seemed pretty damn true. The truth was...he hadn't had the time. He'd met interesting women, but none had been enough to break him out of the repetitiveness that his business had set his life into. He fell into work. He fell into...being by himself. And the truth sounded...sad. Especially when the only woman that he'd even thought about giving his time was sitting next to him as married as she'd been the moment he'd met her. What fucking luck, right? It'd been like that all his life. His luck, he meant. Good things when he least expected it and irony when he got too use to the good things. But he appreciated it all. Fumie may have been the perfect woman that would never be his, but at least she was good company, made him laugh and gave him friendship that he didn't know he was missing. One thing about catching the other side of luck, it taught him how to make...how did his Momma say it? Flowers outta shit...

"You're trying to get to know me." He repeated, his smile growing again their eyes connected. He couldn't help how it lingered, her eyes holding his gaze as well.

"There's nothing wrong with that, I guess." He could admit that. They were just...talking. Getting to know each other a little. Building the friendship that they'd started. Sure, surface was safe, but maybe finding out little things about her that didn't involve her off limits beauty and his attraction to it wasn't a bad thing. He could keep away from those topics if she could. And getting to know each other obviously involved asking questions. He had to ask her questions? That wasn't hard...right? Of course not. Zori could do that.

"Right..." He hesitated again, scratching the back of his head as he drew a blank. And he was about to ask her what? What was her favorite color? What was her childhood like? How long had she been married to a husband that Zori was pretty sure might have been putting his hands on her? Definitely not the last one. That would most certainly get the taste slapped right the hell out of his mouth.

"Uh...so...your kid." Good start. "How old is your son? And it's just him, right?"

Fumie

[*] posted on 23-1-2015 at 07:24 PM

Fumie waited for Zori’s question with bated breath. She wondered what it would be. She knew it wouldn't be anything like what she’d just asked him. Zori knew her husband and she was pretty positive he was a subject he wanted to stay away from. As did she. There was no pleasure to be found in discussing Shemar Kidd. Hell, there was no pleasure to be found in knowing Shemar Kidd. The fact that she’d fucked up and married him was her burden to bear alone. Well, hers and her kids’, which would never be fair to them. She tried to take the brunt of her husband’s selfishness, but a lot of the time there was collateral damage. With Koi more often than Eri, but it happened with both of them more than she would like. Interaction with your father were supposed to be loving...Eri hid from her father and if Koi and Shemar spoke and it didn’t end in a fight there was a hurricane coming...why was she thinking about Shemar right now?

Fumie shook her head clear just as Zori spoke. ...Your kid. How did he…oh right. When she left the post office. She left because of Koi and she’d mentioned that to him. He remembered...Again Fumie found her smile growing. She let her teeth catch her bottom lip to fight it off before she started speaking.

“Well...I have two kids. My son, Koi, is 17 and my daughter, Eri, is 9.” Fumie nodded a bit thinking about rounding that out. Obviously he’d want more than their ages.

“They’re good kids. Eri is probably smarter than I am and her brother…is a handful-,” Fumie laughed at the thought. Koi Kidd was so much more than a handful. But he was her handful. He was her baby and, “...but he’s so sweet when he wants to be.” She laughed again thinking of why Koi wasn’t as much of a mess as usual lately. “He’s got his first girlfriend, but he doesn’t want us to call her that while he sorts out his feelings...she keeps him in line.” She liked this. Talking about her kids and their lives and...not their father. She liked this a lot.

Zori

[*] posted on 24-1-2015 at 08:47 AM

Two kids. Wow. The first one, her son? He wasn't a surprise about him as Zori remembered hearing about him in the post office the day he'd met Fumie. Which had also been the reason why she had to leave so abruptly. But, there was another one? A daughter and a son. Zori couldn't erase the surprise that hit his face when she named them and told him their ages. Not because he had a problem with Fumie having children. Never that. There was something...powerful about the fact that women produced life. Motherhood was strength in his eye. Watching his own mother as he'd grown into the man he was today could attest to that fact. He didn't know why, but he just... had a hard time seeing Fumie with children that age. Maybe it was because she'd looked younger than he'd pinned her for. Either way, two kids...on top of running a non-profit and being a wife and she did that shit in heels and nearly always had a smile on her face? Damn. She was the kind of woman that a lot of women wished they could be...on a bad day. And Zori knew it almost as much as he knew his own middle name that she wasn't appreciated nearly enough for it. She was a super woman left to wash, press and fold her own damn cape.

"Two kids...I wouldn't have guessed it." He smiled, shaking his head. "And they sound as wonderful as their mother." Shit. Really? That had slipped out. Sure, her kids did sound wonderful, but did he to compare them to her? What about Shemar? He had a part in making them, Zori was sure. So, why couldn't he have included the man in the equation that he definitely completed. Because you're jealous of him. And that was the thought that he didn't need, nor did he welcome. That he was jealous of someone else's gift. It was Shemar's gift that he had a hardworking wife and two children to carry on his story, his legacy. Not Zori's. One day, Zori would have his own and despite the uneasiness of his stomach at the though, that future legacy wouldn't include Fumie.

"You and your husband are very blessed..." He mentioned, smiling again quickly before he took another swig from his water bottle.

"To be able to look at a part of yourself through your own eyes is a blessing. I hope to be as lucky one day..."

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top